|I love posts that start with the Chaos Star|
Anyway, I took on this new project to write a campaign setting. And then I busted my shoulder, leaving me to do everything with one hand tied behind my back... literally. Now that I have the immobilizer off, I can start moving and thinking again.
Here is the long and short of my thoughts on the OGL.
I have 6 products on DriveThruRPG:
- Kobold’s Folly Mini Setting
- Compass Rose Inn Mini Setting
- The Hex Pack
- Swashbuckler Character Class for D&D and AD&D
- Zero to Hero: Uncommon Heroes
- Character Sheet for AD&D
Three of these products have nothing to do with D&D, the OGL or SRD: Kobold’s Folly and Compass Rose Inn Mini Settings plus The Hex Pack. I can ignore these.
The other three are directly tied to D&D. They are nothing without the original game. If push comes to they are either going to be withdrawn or go to "OGL version whatever". I have some decisions to make, I guess. The Swashbuckler Character class really needs to be burned to the ground and remade or dumped in the historical stupidity bin. I'm ok with either. I'd like to rework Zero to Hero into OSE, so I need to wait and see what Old Games Essentials does. The character sheet is a historical snapshot that assumes the use of a couple of books, I am not sure if it needs to be connected to the SDR or OGL because it is literally nothing but an image of a collection of words and numbers that are very context specific to a certain version of a D&D game.
I have come to the conclusion that I need to abandon D&D and ignore three of my products linked to the SRD and OGL while reworking the other three into something that doesn't remotely touch the works of Wizards of the Coast.
I have decided to come up with a completely new game system. One of my own devising. In the best case, I am the next WotC. The worst-case scenario is no one uses it.
What I know now:
- I have the basic idea of a game system.
- Playtesting has started.
- It will be called "Zero to Hero", which I am 99.9% is not a copyrightable name. That's cool, I'll deal with it if I can.
EDIT - No, No, this is no longer correct. I think I will call it "The Hearts System".
- My first book, "Zero to Hero: Uncommon Commoners" will be worked into this somehow. I don't know how.
- I will press on with my new campaign setting and tool it to work with "Zero to Hero".
- I need to come up with a better naming convention because if I find too many things referencing "Zero to Hero" I will have to change the name.
So here we are.
This is a cross-post with my Ko-Fi project.