Today, I started my Snowspeeder.
I'm down to just 3 sprues of parts and one is just the base.
Again, the parts come off very cleanly. On these three parts, I needed to use an arced motion along the wings to remove the extra plastic from the clipping.
The third part is the engine on the top of the image. It is slight recessed into the body and sticks out. I found it was easier to place it in the top half and use a dot of glue to stick it in place.
And I made my first mistake. I miss a tiny bit of plastic when cleaning up the clip points. You can see that it is now keeping the wings from meshing together completely. I couldn't see that without some really bright light.
I was able to fix it by running a razor along the seam and cut it off. In the next picture you can see that seam is better but not perfect.
And this is what it looks like from top down.
Next comes the canopy and the root of the the gun pods plus a good way to confuse yourself. In the picture below, I have the roots of the gun pods swapped.
By flipping the pieces, everything becomes obvious.
In the last image, you'll note some recesses in the model. That will catch spillover from the gluing. It's a nice touch on these models.
The next part is the gun and barrel. The thin barrel made me nervous, so I cut a chunk of sprue off with it and trimmed it off with a razor.
The barrel has a C shaped part on the end to connect with the gun. If you don't align this part correctly, the barrel will look zig-zagged.
Now, the gun rests against the previously attached root section. If you're brave, you can put a dot of glue there. It isn't necessary as the gun itself has a two point, box shaped connector. It won't flex or go out of skew.
I think this image shows the connection between the gun and barrel better than the last one.
Of course, no Snowspeeder would be complete without the tow cable gun. This part is even smaller than the main gun barrels, so I took a piece of the sprue with it and trimmed it up with a razor.
And for scale, here we have both models.
No flyer would be complete without a base. This is another item I didn't glue together. The connections are very sturdy and the base has 3 different slots for positioning. There is a ball pivot on the top. Glue would remove the adjustable nature of the base.
I wanted to show the the different slots on the base. 3 different positions.
And one final image of these guys together. This one captures all of the fine detail on these two tiny models.
Tomorrow, I'll start painting. I can't wait to work on the A-Wings I have.